and Yes, it's snowing where i live. It really is. I'm not kidding.

November 20, 2009

I've been getting a fancy gettingbacktotherootsfeeling lately.

I wrote a long blogpost this afternoon, all pissed about how i didn't know who Surinder Mohan Pathak was. Here was a guy who worked at the telephone exchange, and earned a living by translating Hadley Chase and the James Bond series to hindi. He went on to write a James Bond series of his own in hindi, and by now has over 300 novels to his credit, included in which is a book which has sold more than three fucking lakh copies.

Also that everyone knows how good Allah ke bandeh is but one should actually watch Waisa bhi hota hai part 2 and see Where the song actually comes. The director has a sweet nice beautiful malicious way of taking each critic of songs-in-movies and thudding his head into the wall.

And that you know something went wrong somewhere when you realise that you're not really comfortable speaking in your mother tongue.

It's one of those things, where most of the music you listen to is Western, but when you get drunk you end up screaming out those hindi tracks. Or when you listen all the Kings of Leon stuff for thirty minutes on the bus ride to college and feel good about it, but your feet start tapping when a Dev D number comes on. and don't give me that shit about 'Oh dude, WhoEver told you i don't like indian stuff' because well, look around you, at your bookshelf, into your ipod, into your wardrobe and you'll know. And i don't really want to get into swadeshi mode. The post was a lot of angry ranting, but my net conked off in the middle and it didn't get saved. And i'm not pissed any more, frankly. But just that i have this sudden urge to Know hindi.


P.S. I think it's because i've watched Oye Lucky Lucky Oye, Sankat City, Waisa Bhi Hota Hai Part2, and Maqbool back to back. OR maybe it's just because i'm studying English Literature.

11 comments:

Anushka said...

You know which part saved me from feeling too much guilt? 'Look into your wardrobe.' And don't you dare say I wear kurtis just because of JU.

Priyanka said...

I've got to agree with anushka's comment, but MUNNU, admit it. It's getting to you too. I'll hit you if you throw fancy words at me.

Aditi Roy said...

I guess I don't agree. The 'I don't like Indian stuff' I think is a little class three. And I don't believe one part of your life can trump another. They don't necessarily contradict each other. Also, it's interesting that the author you speak of translates books in English that you love. :P

Safdar said...

@anushka-ok, feel happy im not sayin its because of JU.

@priyanka- jaastshuttup.and whats getting to me?

@adt- he does.but someone has translated his books into english.i just think the guy used to lift plots and just write his own shit.you wait till i get my hands on them.he seems like The shit. :D

Aditi Roy said...

You haven't read them yet? The romanticism. The romanticism.

AHM said...

We r inviting u to contribute for our JUDE blog.
www.voiceofjude.blogspot.com
Write in whatever u feel like at judeforum@gmail.com n we will publish it.Hoping to hear from u.

-the AHM Family

Vikrant Dadawala said...

*I* have read english translation. go figure.




question. who is adt? raka?

Safdar said...

*You* are a complete asshole.

and ya, adt is raka.

Vikrant Dadawala said...

hmph. Yet another psuedophobe. Raka, I mean.

Arse Poetica said...

english literature is always the culprit,there's an entire branch of eng lit which says that eng lit started all the trouble in the world and hey bhagwan, eng lit can leave one confussssed at the end of the day...phew.

Aditi Roy said...

@vikrant, another one of your made up words? what does it mean? fear of fakes?

see you pretty soon btw :)